Thursday, October 5, 2017

Some things aren't better left undone


"I'm going to need a ride over to Rammstein AFB so I can use the photo-lab there. The guys developing the images at the Press Center are using a film developer that takes about 5 minutes to process film.  And the results are horrifying.

"That will also keep me out of the hornets' nest for a day and I will have better control over my work."

"Done."

Again, I like done.

The next day, one of our S-2 Officers, a very mad West Point Officer flew me over to Rammstein AFB.

My brother met us on arrival.

"Who the heck is your brother?"

"I'm a West Point Officer and I had to fly your enlisted brother here from Stuttgart to Rammstein AFB."

I looked at my stunned brother and smirked slightly, "Sir, I have between 3 to 4 hours of work to do at the photo-lab here.  Don't know if you've been to Rammstein before but this is big base. Or if you want, you can leave and I'll lima line in to Colonel Lethcoe and tell him I've completed my work."

"Make it 3 and I'll wait."

"Yes, sir."

I pushed 10 rolls of Ilford Pan 100 using Microdol-X 3:1 at 72 degrees for 11 minutes. Within the first hour, I was done with the film processing and had one hour to work on prints, 30 minutes to work on drying them and 10 minutes to get back to the OH-58.

"Good, you're early."

"Want to see the prints, sir?"

"Sure."

He started going though all 50 of them.

"I want this one."

"Sir?"

"Can I have this one?"

"Yes, sir."

"These are really good." he said in amazement.

I think it was starting to sink in as to why it was so important to come to Rammstein.




No comments:

Post a Comment